Manual and mechanical weeding
Direct control of weeds can be done through (1) manual weeding by hand and (2) mechanical weeding using implements such as push weeder and interrow cultivation weeders.
Implements: Hoes, sickles
When to hand weed
- When weeding annual weeds and certain perennial weeds that usually do not regenerate from underground parts
- When removing weeds within rows and hills where a cultivating implement, such as a push weeder, cannot be used
Handweeding of young weeds at the two-leaf to three-leaf growth stages is extremely difficult. To effectively hand weed:
1. Delay weeding for at least 2 weeks or until weeds are large enough
to be grasped easily.
2. Ensure that there enough soil moisture for easy pull.
3. Remove the weeds from the field to stop them from regenerating.